Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Reading Response

Reading Response


Ned Vizzini, the author of The Other Normals, makes the main character, Perry Eckert, seem like a geek. In the book, Perry is fifteen, but is described as a ten year old. Perry has an older brother who is always at parties getting drunk, Jake. 

On the first page, Perry states that he was “alone in a room playing with myself. Not in that way – playing Creatures & Caverns, the popular role-playing game.” He describes the game as popular. The name that Vizzini gave the game doesn’t make it sound popular: it makes it sound childish and geeky. 

Throughout the book, Ned Vizzini makes Perry do things he thought he couldn’t be able to do, but for his games. On page 55, Perry punches a kid on the forehead and leaves it bloody. On page 44, he fights with his brother to get his game back, and the author describes Perry and his brother both being surprised of Perry’s speed, since Perry is usually very slow.  

When I was getting through the beginning of this book, I actually understood Perry. I understand his addiction to these games and how he wants to have them with him all the time. I was addicted to playing Pokémon. It was a huge addiction. I always stood awake from seven to twelve in the morning playing it. Like Perry, it also affected my school grades.

But unlike Perry’s parents, my parents never sent me to a camp to recover from my addiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment